Bottom line: MRI permissible if all conditions are met
Foley Catheter Temperature Probe
- Foley catheter CANNOT be connected to the temperature monitoring equipment/sensor during MRI.
- Disconnect removable catheter connector cable (if one is present) prior to MRI.
- Position Foley catheter in straight configuration down center of patient WITHOUT ANY LOOP and insulate from the patient’s skin.
- Static magnetic field of 1.5T or 3T only.
- SAR cannot exceed 3.5 W/kg for 1.5T, or 3W/kg for 3T, for 15 minutes of scanning.
- Monitor patient for symptoms of heating.
See also: Foley Catheters without temperature probes
Bottom Line: All conditions must be met to be MR permissible.