Risks: Thermal, Device malfunction
- Take precautions to limit and monitor for symptoms of thermal injury if a metallic component is present.
- Inflatable prosthesis: MR permissible if more than 6 weeks after implantation.
- Rigid/Malleable prosthesis: MR permissible if more than 6 weeks after implantation. Warn patient that the prosthesis may become erect in the scanner.
- Some devices (e.g. Omniphase, Duraphase) are ferromagnetic and may become erect in the scanner.
- Penile prosthesis may be MR permissible earlier than 6 weeks if specifically recommended by the manufacturer.
Bottom Line: MRI Permissible >6 weeks after implantation if all conditions are met